A Day In The Life: A Sneak Peek Behind The Scenes Of The Hair & Beauty Industry


Ever wondered what it would be like to work in the hair and beauty industry? Each month I will be interviewing various industry professionals from salon owners to make-up artists. We'll take a peek at what its like behind the scenes of this competitive industry as well as getting the lowdown on the best tips and products from the people who know best.

 Today we meet Emma Lawrence. Hairdresser, beautician and owner of Chapters Hair Design Em 'n' Emz Beauty.



What is your present position?

I am a fully qualified hairdresser and beautician and the owner and manager of Chapters Hair Design Em 'n' Emz Beauty.

What sparked your interest in the hair and beauty industry? 

I had always been interested in hair, beauty and nails from a young age. My passion was confirmed when I did work experience at both a hair and, beauty salon during school. I really enjoyed the experience gained there and knew this was the right industry for me.

What is a typical day like for you? give us a peek into your world.

I carry out various hair and beauty treatments for a variety of new and regular clients. From cutting, colouring and straightening treatments to hair extensions, waxing and nail care, no one day is ever the same.

What product can you not live without?

I actually have two...dry shampoo and argan oil.
I love dry shampoo as it gives my hair the freshly washed feel and look in-between washing or, when I don't have time to style it.
I love argan oil because it has so many great benefits from reducing frizz to nourishing hair. It also leaves hair soft and silky with a gorgeous glowing shine!

*Insider tip: Argan oil can be used before shampooing and blow drying as well as a finishing touch.

What is the most difficult or worst part of your job?

I have a habit of never saying no and taking on too much work at times. Colouring a clients hair until as late as 9 at night can be very tiring.

What advice would you give someone who would like to follow in your footsteps?

My advice would be to study hard and be sure that this is the right industry for you. Running a salon isn't as easy as it may look and it is not just about cutting hair and making people look and feel beautiful. There are numerous errands to run and accounts will not do themselves!!

What is your best hair and beauty tip?

My best hair tip is to never turn up to a salon for a colour with freshly washed hair. Roots will be more visible on unwashed hair and a lot easier to handle.
My best beauty tip is when matching your hair and lipstick, red lips look great on brunettes, orange goes perfectly with auburn and pink lips suit blonde beautifully.


Chapters Salon


Interview by Jessica Watson of Dixie Duke.
Chapters is a gorgeous welcoming salon based in Torrington, South West England.
To discuss your hair and beauty needs with Emma or book an appointment call the salon direct on 01805 622700.

Comments

Popular Posts