A Day In The Life: A Sneak Peek Behind The Scenes Of The Hair and Beauty Industry


Ever wondered what it would be like to work in the hair and beauty industry? Each month I will be interviewing various industry professionals from salon owners to make-up artists. We'll take a peek at what its like behind the scenes of this competitive industry as well as getting the lowdown on the best tips and products from the people who know best. 

I am always asked what it is like to be a beauty blogger so, today I'll be giving you an insight into what really goes into being a hardcore blogger.



What is your present position?

I am a beauty blogger and founder of dixieduke.blogspot.com. 

What sparked your interest in the hair and beauty industry?

I have always been fascinated by the hair and beauty industry. My obsession with nails started when I gained experience as a salon assistant and receptionist at the age of 15. I realized how creative nail art in particular can be and this sparked a real passion. I have been addicted since!

What is a typical day like for you? give us a peek into your world.

A typical day will always start with me responding to e-mails and enquiries. Once I have dealt with the business side of things I will begin updating my blog and social networking sites.
The remainder of the day is typically filled with general correspondence with various industry professionals, companies and salons, reviewing sample products, producing new content for my blog and brainstorming upcoming projects and competitions. I also do a lot of research!!

What product can't you live without?

I am a complete beauty junkie so it is hard to pick just one but it would probably have to be my Avon Clearskin Blemish Clearing 3 in 1 Cleanser, Mask and Scrub.
This product is a little miracle for dry spot prone skin and I honestly couldn't live without it! It always leaves my skin with a healthy, radiant spot free glow. I can't recommend it enough!

What is the most difficult or worst part of your job?

Without a doubt I would have to say the late nights. Dedicated blogging is a real commitment and at times can feel like a full-time job. On a busy day I often find myself working into the early hours. If you are willing to put in a lot of time and hard work then the amazing rewards and opportunities created from blogging are more than worth losing a few hours kip over!!

What advice would you give someone who would like to follow in your footsteps?

My main piece of advice would be that you can never have too many qualifications or gain too much experience. I can't stress that enough! Take every opportunity you are offered even if it is something as simple as sweeping salon floors.
This industry is all about contacts so don't be afraid to put yourself out there. If you have an amazing portfolio, show it off. Showing samples of your work will get you a lot further than you may think! You need to be willing to live and breath this industry if you want to succeed and go places. 
Finally, always give 110% no matter what the situation and accept the attitude that there is always room for improvement.

What is your best hair or beauty tip?

You can use all the products in the world but drinking lots of water, exercising regularly and getting adequate sleep EVERY night really are essential in achieving glowing skin!


Dixie Duke is a beauty blog set up by nail tech, tanning and lash student Jessica Watson. For great tips, advice and articles on everything beauty related check out dixieduke.blogspot.com and follow on twitter @dixie_duke 
You can also keep up to date by liking our page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/DixieDukeofficial


Comments

Popular Posts