How I ditched the dangerous diets to survive anorexia & bulimia

Five years ago I fought a daily battle with my body weight, shape and size as the persistent paranoia of having a 'fat figure' left me repulsed by my own reflection. I'd spend hours analysing every flaw, roll and imperfection before the guilt and shame surrounding my size lead to another uncontrollable binge - a binge that would always end in a purge. My determination to rid my body of the 'filth' I'd consumed resembled an abnormal infatuation that would change my body and mind forever.
Although I may portray a healthy and muscular physique, the reality is some what different. The excess skin that results from rapid weight loss, the inability to digest food without experiencing excruciating stomach cramps, the overwhelming urge to vomit after force feeding myself the food I once branded 'bad' and the abdominal bloating that makes it impossible to enjoy 'new' foods in a social environment may be a small price to pay for the unhealthy weight loss method that nearly cost me my hair, teeth and life, but it's a painful price that continues to cripple my confidence on a daily basis, as I struggle to maintain a healthy diet without succumbing to the physical and psychological difficulties that stem from my stupidity.
Despite the dangers surrounding extreme dieting, very few truly understand the detrimental effects that develop from subjecting the body and mind to unhealthy weight loss methods such as severe caloric deficits, starvation and bingeing and purging. Quick fix methods may seem like a 'safe' option, but I can assure you that you will pay the price, physically and psychologically, for failing to opt for a sensible solution to an extremely complex problem - particularly when resorting to abnormal and extreme dietary habits.
I may not be able to reverse the damage that I have inflicted on my body, but I can use my story to shock others who may be considering an unhealthy weight loss option into thinking twice about their intended actions.
We only get one life and we only get one body, please treat it with the love, care and respect it deserves by steering clear of the dangerous diets that target those seeking a slender silhouette - they are not worth sacrificing your sanity, self esteem or life for.

Comments

Popular Posts