Diary of a bulimic: a forbidden food I'd forgotten

Today I did something that many take for granted - I consumed a calorie fuelled cookie without fighting the toxic thoughts of failure that trigger the urge to purge.

I didn't purposely punish myself for finding pleasure in a processed pick me up, nor did I feel the 'need' to rid my body of the 'bad' calories that I had consumed. Instead, I felt free to enjoy eating, free to experience the exhilarating taste and texture of a favourite food that I had forced myself to forget, and free to savour every second without wanting to make myself sick.

In fact, after eight years of fighting a daily battle with bulimia, I finally felt like I had found the strength to see past the sugar that scared me, the fat that fuelled my fear of getting 'fat' and the calories that I had convinced myself would contribute to a wider waistline if I failed to maintain the mental motivation to say no to tasty treats - the treats that always triggered the emotional turmoil that forced me to rid my body of 'forbidden food.'

No matter how 'stupid' a successful goal may seem, or how small a step you have taken, be sure to acknowledge every accomplishment, every obstacle that you have overcome and every lesson that you have learned. Sometimes the simple things mean the most...


Comments

Popular Posts